Manipulation, cult groups, sects, and new religious movements
These workshops are for former group members only, not
family or friends (AFF has other workshops for these persons). Topics discussed typically
- The nature of psychological manipulation and abuse
- Conditions of thought reform programs
- General recovery needs of former members
- Coping with depression and guilt
- Effects of hypnosis and trance techniques
- Coping with feelings of anger
- Coping with anxiety
- Reestablishing trust in yourself and others
- Dependency issues
- The grieving process
- Reintegration/identity issues
- Spiritual and philosophical concerns
The workshops are organized and coordinated by Carol Giambalvo, a thought reform
consultant, former member of a controversial group, and author/editor of Exit Counseling: A Family Intervention
and The Boston Movement: Critical
Perspectives on the International Churches of Christ (Herbert L.
Rosedale, co-editor). Ms. Giambalvo serves AFF as Director of Recovery Programs, which
include workshops, special publications, professional liaison, and outreach.
Receive conference announcements via e-mail -- subscribe to AFF News Briefs.