1999 Conference: Cults,
Psychological Manipulation & Society
Conference: Cults, Psychological
Manipulation, and Society: International Perspectives
|When: May 14-16, 1999
|Where: Minneapolis, MN
AFF (American Family Foundation), the leading
professional organization concerned about cults and psychological manipulation, was
founded 20 years ago in 1979. AFF is known for its professionalism, for building its
practical educational services for families, former group members, helping professionals,
educators, young people, and the public on a base of scholarly study and research.
This years conference reflects AFFs breadth and
depth of understanding by examining social issues, scientific research, and practical
needs of all who are interested in this subject. The conference is part of a larger
educational effort in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and is supplemented by pre-conference
workshops and educational events.
- Cults, Psychological Manipulation and Society: An
- Cultic Groups and Families
- Margaret Singer, Ph.D.
- Cultic Groups and Politics
- Dennis Tourish, Ph.D.
- Cultic Groups and Mainstream Religions
- Ronald Enroth, Ph.D.
- Governmental and Legal Responses to Cults in Europe
- Lars Grip
- Governmental and Legal Responses to Cults in the
- Alan Scheflin, J.D
- Thought Reform Consultation: A Panel Discussion
- David Clark; Carol Giambalvo; Joseph Kelly; Patrick Ryan;
Hana Whitfield; Jerry Whitfield; Mike Kropveld, Moderator
- So Easily Fooled! Youre Not as Invulnerable as
- Robert Fellows, M.T.S.
Saturday Events: Researching Cultic Groups
- Reports on recent research by
- Peter Malinoski, M.A., JoniBeth Whitney, M.A.,
Rod Marshall, Ph.D., Lois Kendall, Janja Lalich, M.A.,
Josep Jansa, M.D., Stephen Kent, Ph.D., Paul Martin, Ph.D., Moderator
- Support Groups for Ex-Members and Families
- William Goldberg, M.S.W.;
Bruce Laughton; Donna Mayotte, M.A., L.P.
- Psychological Needs of Former Group Members
- Lorna Goldberg, M.S.W.;
Mary Kent; Alex Stein
- The Dark Side of the Moons: A Dialogue with the
Ex-wife of the Reverend Sun Myung Moons Eldest Son
- Nonsook Hong and Herbert Rosedale, Esq.
- Can Cultic Groups Change? The Case of ISKCON
- Anuttama Dasa; Radha Dasi; Joseph Kelly; Michael Langone,
- Should Society's Response to Cults Ignore Theology?
- Roger Olson, Ph.D.
- International Reports
- What Needs to be Done about Cults: A Panel
- Herbert Rosedale, Esq. and representatives from cult
educational organizations in Europe and North America
- Workshop for Families
- Livia Bardin, M.S.W; Donna & Jonathan Collins; Hana
- Workshop for Former Group Members
- Carol Giambalvo; Joseph Kelly
- Symposium: So You Want to Help: What Can Individuals
- Sandy Andron, Ed.D.; Patrick Ryan; Heather Svoboda
- Toward a Common Research Agenda
- Diverse researchers in discussion; Arthur Dole, Ph.D.,
- Private Conversations with Experts (optional; as
- Public Lecture: So Easily Fooled! Youre Not as
Invulnerable as You Think
- Robert Fellows, M.T.S. (Wednesday 7:30 p.m.; repeated Friday
evening & 7:30 p.m.)
- Programs for high schools
- Robert Fellows, M.T.S.; Donna Collins (Wednesday and
- Craig Branch (Thursday 7:00 p.m.)
- Educators Workshop
- Sandy Andron, Ed.D.; Michael Langone, Ph.D.;
Marcia Rudin; Patrick Ryan (Thursday 7:00 p.m.)
- Mental Health Professionals Workshop
- William Goldberg, M.S.W.;
Roseanne Henry, M.A.; Josep Jansa, M.D.; Margaret Singer, Ph.D.; Heather Svoboda (Thursday
- Readings from Former Group Members: A Literary
- Alex Stein (Thursday 7:00 p.m.)
If you cant make this conference, please consider sending a donation so AFF can continue to help cult victims and their
families. AFF is a tax-exempt organization and depends solely upon contributions. Please